A Guide for Higher Studies in United Kingdom for Indian Students
UK Education Consultant in Bangalore. Best Consultancy in Bangalore for MS in United Kingdom. Study in UK | Earn while Study
Admission Gyan’s unparalleled track record of placing students into incredible UK universities, such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and Imperial, has been recognized by Forbes, Business Insider, the BBC and many more. It’s because we consistently deliver incredible results for our students.
If you want to make your UK study dreams come true, request a candidacy assessment today. The UK offers a world-renowned education system, with qualifications that can make a real difference to your career.
Whether you want to come to the UK to study or find out more about UK higher education qualifications in your country, we are here to help you find your dream course and plan your studies.
High quality educationThe UK is one of the world’s most popular destinations to study higher education, with more than 500,000 international students enrolling each year.
- One of the world’s leading destinations for international students, second only to the USA. UK universities are among the best in the world, and consistently perform well in world rankings. They also have a reputation for world-class research.
- UK higher education degrees and qualifications are recognized by employers and academics worldwide.
- Students get the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge, critical thinking, and connections to drive forward their careers.
- High quality postgraduate study opportunities are also available at the majority of UK universities, with some universities offering sponsorship to extend Tier 4 visas.
Why choose higher education in the UK?Going to university in the UK is a great way to expand your knowledge, meet new people, experience a new culture, and enjoy new experiences. You’ll get plenty of support at university, and a chance to experience a great student lifestyle. Whatever your interests, there's a huge range of clubs and societies, as well as a diverse social life on offer.The benefits:
- Choose from over 50,000 courses, in more than 25 subject areas.
- UK courses are generally shorter than other countries, helping to reduce overall tuition fees and accommodation costs.
- It can be possible to work while you study too – find out more from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).
- Universities in the UK are world-renowned and famed for having world-class and customised education facilities.
- The UK universities offer students to combine their academic and vocational courses.
- The country is ideal for developing English language skills.
- Students get to travel and explore beautiful places while studying in the UK.
- Workshops, training, and practical classes conducted by expert teachers and professors.
- International students can work and earn while pursuing their degree courses.
- Students get a work permit for 2 years after the completion of their higher degree programs.
- Most of the universities in the UK have a robust research infrastructure.
- Students can make themselves a part of the diversified culture in the UK.
- International students can experience a vibrant university campus lifestyle and meet new connections.
- All the higher degree course programs have an affordable fee structure.
The United Kingdom boasts world-ranked colleges and universities. Majority of the universities follow a flexible education system and offer international students with a variety of higher degree courses valuable for the career.
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- The University of Edinburgh
- Imperial College London
- King’s College London
- The Open University
- The University of Manchester
The top-ranking universities and colleges of the UK will have their own fee structures and it depends on the type of your qualification and the course you opt for. The tuition fees for undergraduate students will be around £10,000. (US$14,130) for lecture-based courses and it will go up to £38,000 (~US$53,700) for top-most courses such as a medical degree. For post graduation level, classroom-based programs, the tuition fee will be around £11,000 (~US$15,545) and goes up to £32,000 (~US$45,200). For laboratory-based programs, the average fees vary from £12,000 (~US$16,940) to £27,200 (~US$38,400).
Through the UK government
Chevening ScholarshipsThe UK government offers a global scholarship programmes called “Chevening”. It is open to all international students who meet the Chevening eligibility criteria, which states you must have applied for at least three degree courses in the UK, usually one-year Master’s courses.
Commonwealth Masters ScholarshipsIf you are from a “Commonwealth country” and are hoping to pursue a Master’s degree in the UK then the Commonwealth Scholarship could be for you.The UK Department for International Development (DFID) provides funding for tuition fees, exam fees, airfare cover to and from the UK, a personal maintenance allowance, “initial arrival allowance” to cover extra costs in the first few days, exam fees and even a thesis grant if needed.
Gates Cambridge ScholarshipsHoping to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge? This scholarship will cover all your costs.
Rhodes Scholarships at University of OxfordThe Rhodes Scholarship was set up in 1902 and is the world’s oldest international scholarship programmes at one of the most prestigious universities in the world. It awards exceptional postgraduate students from certain eligible countries.
Edinburgh Global Research ScholarshipsEach year, the University of Edinburgh offers 30 scholarships to international students hoping to undertake a PhD research programmes in any field of study. The scholarship reduces tuition fees to the rate given to domestic students (and students who are from countries in the European Union) but does not cover maintenance costs.
Denys Holland Scholarship at University College LondonUndergraduate students from any country are eligible for this scholarship if they would be unable to fund their studies at UCL otherwise and show a desire to throw themselves into university life inside and outside of their studies. The student will receive GBP9,000 (US$12,870) every year of their degree which they may use towards their tuition or as a maintenance loan.
International students get awards and global scholarships both from UK universities and the Government of the UK.
- Commonwealth Masters Scholarships
- The University of Oxford provides Rhodes Scholarships
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships
- University College London offers Denny Holland Scholarship
- The majority of the universities in the UK require students to have at least 16 years of education.
- On a scale of 4, international students need to have a minimum GPA of 3.
- For pursuing higher degree programs, international students need to show relevant work experience of at least 1-2 years.
- All the students required to have proficiency in English and show the IELTS pass result
- Tier 4 (General) Student Visa – This category is for students coming to the UKfor higher education and the applicant must be at least 16 years old.
- Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa – This category is for children between 4 and 15 years of age coming to the UK for their education. Children between 4 and 15 years old can only be educated at independent fee-paying schools.
Cost of VisaThe fee for the Tier 4 General Visa is £348. The methods of payment are stated below.
- Online using either a MasterCard or Visa card
- Through demand draft at the visa application center and selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank.
- Through Cash at the visa application center and selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank.
DocumentsStudent visa requires you to carry a lot more documents than you would for a tourist visa, by comparison. You need the mandatory documents along with supporting documents of financial and academic records. Make sure you refer to this checklist before going to the consulate for the visa interview.You should have the following documents before applying:
- A completed student visa application form
- A letter of acceptance on the course - Your approved education provider will give you an acceptance letter (CAS) and a visa letter which are official and unconditional offers of a place on a course of study. The visa letter must be issued no more than six months before you apply. The applications where the visa letters are older than six months will be refused. Having a visa letter does not guarantee the application will be successful. The applicant must meet all the requirements of the category and any other requirements of the immigration rules.
- Proof of funds - The money you need to show covers your course fees for your first year of study and living costs for up to a maximum of nine months. The amount you will need depends on whether you are applying as a child or adult and also whether you will be studying in or out of London. You must show that you have held the money for at least 28 days. The end of that 28-day period must not be more than one month before the date of your application.
How to ApplyThere are several steps to apply for a visa. UK student visa applications are processed within three weeks of the completed application being lodged.Step 1 - Check if you qualify
- You must be able to show that you have:
- A confirmed place at the school, university or college where you intend to study. It is called a ‘confirmation of acceptance for studies’ (CAS).
- Enough money (also known as ‘maintenance or funds’) to cover your course fees and living costs in the UK.
- Payment at Bank - You can pay your fee at some branches of the Bank. The bank will issue a demand draft in favor of the 'The British High Commission'.
- Demand draft from a nationalized or foreign bank - You can pay your fee by getting a demand draft issued by a nationalized or a foreign bank. Bank charges for this service will vary. The demand draft must be in favor of the 'The British High Commission’.
- Payment at the visa application center - You can pay the visa application fee at the visa application center when you submit your visa application.
- Pay online - You can pay your visa application fee online using a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card.
UK Point-based Visa SystemStudents should be informed that the UK Visa is a point-based visa system and it is essential for applicants to meet all the requirements of the Immigration Rules and have 40 points in total.
|Students are required to have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from a fully licensed Tier 4 sponsor||30 points|
|Students should have enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds)||10 points|
AccommodationThe rent for the place you stays will form a fixed and major part of your budget in the UK (apart from your tuition fees). You can seek accommodation from the university you plan to attend, or look for private accommodation outside. University accommodation usually includes the price of internet connection (if available), cost of basic utilities (like electricity, gas, and water), welfare support staff, 24-hour security and personal possessions insurance.Private accommodation can be more expensive than most university accommodations and it is wise to look for accommodation close to campus if you plan to stay outside so that you will not have to spend on travel. Take help from your university's campus-based service which will help you find affordable private accommodation, if available.Some residential halls or apartments may require one month's rent as deposit, which will be returned when you leave. The cost of any damage or repair will be subtracted from the deposit. Again, please note that monthly expenses in UK will vary according to the location of your university.
The Government of the UK gives work permits to international students for two years after the successful completion of their higher degree programs. The post-study work opportunities help international students to gain international work experience and foster their career on a high.